Tuesday, November 3, 2009

We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo...

Here we are, beginning our third month in Korea. It’s so crazy to think that we’ve been here for that long. The time has seemed both very long and very short. So much has happened that it’s been a very full two months.
On Friday night we had to say goodbye to our friends Brett and Abbi. They flew back to America on Saturday! Even though we only spent two months with them, they feel like family to us… so it will be pretty hard with them gone.

Me, Ferrin and Abbi


The four of us!

At the end of our kindergartenless week David and I decided to go to the zoo. We packed up our bags and took the bus from Yeonsu over to Seoul Grand Park. The zoo here is about twice as big as Riverbanks zoo in Columbia SC (which is about the extent of my zoo experience). We were all set to explore and see all of the wonderful animals, yet as soon as we stepped inside the gates the heavens opened and rain poured down. We pulled out our umbrellas and trekked through the torrential downpours to see some very soggy animals. In the end we were quite soggy as well. My jeans were riding quite low due to the water weight and even my rainjacket got soaked through. The contents of my purse were turned to mush as well. We did get to see quite a few more animals than I expected despite the torrential downpour. The tigers and otters were frolicking in the rain. There were seals and penguins in the water displays. Elephants played in the mud. During some of the worst part of the storm we went into an auditorium to see the dolphin show that was on display.


The ZOO!


I was a bit taken aback by this sign, but apparently this is a real type penguin. It's named so for the sound it makes, which people have likened to the braying of a donkey.


The dolphin show.

The train ride home was pretty soggy, but we enjoyed our nice dry apartment. I’ve never seen it rain so much in one day before—figures it would happen on a time we decided to do an outside activity. The fall colors were really beautiful though. It’s so crazy to see such long lasting and colorful leaves!




On Sunday we went to church at Jubilee. We’ve really enjoyed our times there—they have such a great community and their style of worship is really refreshing. Also, it’s nice to be around a lot of Asians who speak English fluently!
My kids were really happy to see me this week after an entire week off! Unfortunately I just found out that one of my girls, Esther, dropped out of the class to go to a different school. I hate that I cannot say goodbye to her… but such is life here. One day you see someone and then the next they can be gone. Koreans aren’t really good at giving out warnings about stuff like that.
Also, this week has been ridiculously cold so far. We woke up to a thirty degree Monday morning, which only got worse (in the twenties). I hate it. I can’t wait for winter to be over already.

No comments:

Post a Comment