Monday, February 22, 2010

thoughts on chingus.

The great thing about friendships is that they're transportable! Thanks to facebook and the wonders of the internet (via Skype), I've been able to keep up with all of my wonderful friends back home while forming new, international friendships here!
One great example of this is Josh and Leigh Jourdain. I've known both of them for years, through various spheres of life (high school and college). About a week ago I got a facebook message from Josh saying that they were flying into Korea later that day to move for good! I gave him my number on the off hand chance he'd need it. It just so happened that that evening just as I got off of work, my phone rang. They'd just arrived on Korean soil and needed a place to stay. I was more than happy to oblige. Seeing a familiar face from home here is like gold (and two familiar faces is double the joy!). It was such an amazing thing to welcome them to Korea, to yell broken Korean to taxi drivers and bus drivers while they swayed bleary eyed and entranced by the plethora of neon lights. I remember the similar blast of culture shock when David and I got off the plane- it was overwhelming to say the least. We tried to get them set up in a motel near our place, but the landlords were eager to rip the "Waygukins" off, so we offered them our bed instead. David and I are more than used to sleeping on the floor by now (and with the consistency of the mattresses it really doesn't matter). Even though Josh and Leigh only stayed for one night before jetting off to their orientation down south, we really enjoyed their company and fellowship.
This weekend we headed down to Dongtan, which is only 45 minutes to the east of us, and hung out with another couple we've befriended. I love my single friends and coworkers to death, but there's something about hanging out with couples that hits the spot.
Speaking of company, my Dad and Aunt are headed this way in a matter of days. I'm so ridiculously excited. If you've ever wanted to see Asia and need a place to crash, by all means, come and stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment