Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mass of Red

Sorry it's been a while since the last update. Our days seem to be getting busier, a feat I didn't imagine possible! Somehow time has slipped away from me, and there haven't been any huge trips or massive feats worth blogging about. Still, our lives have plugged along, with the occasional cool thing in there.
Things at our hagwon have gotten busier. I'm teaching nine classes a day with ten minute breaks in between. On top of that we have curriculum to prepare and definitions to write and schedules to make. All of that combined and we hardly have time to breathe during the day! I've found it challenging, but I'm also learning to be grateful through all of it. I'm trying to treasure all the time I have left with my munchkins. I've grown so close to them throughout the past four months of teaching them. It tears my heart, the thought of leaving them. There is a chance that some of the kids might visit me in the States later (their parents are all rich and love to travel,) but who knows. We had a dance party today, and the number one requested song was "My Heart Will Go On." I have a few Titanic fans in my class :). It's cute. They hum the song when they color their dinosaurs. That and the Star Wars opening theme.
Saturday was a full day. We went to a BBQ at our church in Seoul. It was some of the most mouthwatering American style meat I've had in a while. There were ribs, pulled pork and kebabs. Ooh, my stomach is growling just thinking about it! It was really great to fellowship with all of the other married couples at the church. Afterwards, David and I went to Itaewon to do a maternity shoot for a couple we met at church. It was pretty fun helping David with one of his shoots. We went all over the place, from the couple's home to a botanical garden on the nearby mountain. I've never seen the sky so beautiful in Korea as it was that Saturday in Seoul. It was amazingly blue and there were clouds to accent the sunset. We ended our evening with Peter and Bo (the maternity shoot couple) taking a drink on a restaurant that overlooked a good part of Seoul. It was so peaceful and relaxing.
After the maternity shoot we headed to Munhak Sports Complex (near our home in Incheon) to watch the World Cup game. We bought some red shirts in the Bupyeong underground and joined our friends, along with thousands of other Koreans, in cheering for the Red Devils! They were playing Uruguay, and during the pregame show we got to hear some Spanish. It was so odd to hear a language that wasn't English that I (at least partially) understood. I'm so used to being completely oblivious to Korean. The cheering during the game was INSANE. The crowd cheered for everything. Whenever the ball came into Korea's possession, and whenever Uruguay fouled Korea the stadium burst into a nearly deafening roar (only notches above the constant volume of the crowd). During the one goal they made, the red mass of humanity went NUTS. There were fireworks going off, clappers clapping and people jumping up and down and hollering their lungs out. It was so crushingly sad when Korea lost. Everyone shuffled out of the stadium with such defeated looks. I was unhappy since we wouldn't be able to witness the crazy crowd energy of another game. The next Monday at school our kids came in with sad faces and informed us of the loss. Aw. At least I got the super cool experience of being in a country that was enthusiastic about their participation in the World Cup, unlike *ahem* America.




We're gearing up for vacations soon! Thailand in 3 weeks! I'm so beyond excited! And In two months we'll be of to New Zealand for our farming adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment