Friday, June 11, 2010

Saturday Musings.

It's a rainy day in South Korea. Surprising how rare those are here. Although now that monsoon season is approaching I think that this might be a more common occurrence. I love rainy days when there's nothing to do but curl up and read a book. I've been making my way through the most random tomes here. There aren't any huge English language bookstores near our apartment, so I kinda have to scrounge around for whatever I can get. I've been reading a lot of Paulo Coehlo and some books my lovely bestie shipped me from overseas. :) It's crazy (but it does make sense) how vital reading is to the creative process of writing. Books feed writers. Whenever I'm reading a really good book, my writing is visibly better than when I'm not. So I've been trying to read as consistently as I can.
Summer has arrived, although now it doesn't bring the same sweet freedom that it did back in the school days. The weather here is nothing compared to Charleston's beastly heat and humidity. It has been slightly muggy the past few days though. We've been trucking through school, handling lots of poor, overworked children. The days are slowly but surely getting crossed off of the calendar. Here's the count: 5 weeks until mud festival, 6 weeks until Thailand and 11 weeks until we leave Korea for good (New Zealand and Africa here we come!!). It's so close yet so far at the same time! I know that it will be upon us before we know it.
We had another Wednesday holiday last week and decided to go into Seoul and bike down the Han River. It was such a blast. I haven't ridden a bike in so long! The day was sunny and warm and pretty perfect. Unfortunately David didn't bring his camera, so we have no documentation of it.
Last night we went to a Noraebang (singing room) with a bunch of our friends. It's basically a room you go into and sing karaoke for an hourly rate. It was so much fun, belting out Evanescence, Lady Gaga and the Black Eyed Peas. :) No one cares how you sound, so you just kinda let it all go. My ears really felt it after an hour of David and Steve singing :p
Today is the first day of Korea's participation in the World Cup. Everyone is geared up here with their "Red Devils" soccer jerseys. It's kinda cool to be in a country that has so much team spirit about the World Cup. I hope they get far!
Well, that's about all for now! I'm going to go and enjoy the remainder of our rainy Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment