Monday, August 16, 2010

Countdown: Two Weeks to Go!!

We have two weeks (that's right two weeks) left before we depart from South Korea. This thought seems quite surreal to me now. There were times in the year when I thought this time would never come, and yet, now it's here. Time is a funny thing, going both fast and slow at the same time.
Today I hit a wall. It was a Monday and I was more tired than usual since I'd woken up super early to witness my cousin's baptism over Skype (God bless the creators of Skype). It was one of those teaching days where I was just ready to be done. Most of my kids are good... I love them to death, but there's one kindergartner in particular who is pushing me to a hair pulling stage. The only word I can think of to describe this child is contrary. Everything I say he has to disagree with, even if it's something as simple as "I like cheese." Within 2 seconds he'll chirp "I don't like cheese." He does this all the time. And to top it off he's been rather mean to me as well. When I told the kids that I was sick last week he immediately shouted "YAY!" (which more than disgruntled my ear-infected/sinus-infected self). Today I told the kids that I was leaving in two weeks. While the rest of the class looked disappointed, this one particular student once again shouted, "YAY!" It's so difficult for me to be patient with him. I know that he's only 5 years old and he's just acting out. But some of the things he says genuinely hurts my feelings. When I tell him that he just thinks it's funny.
But in two weeks, I will no longer be a teacher, simply a world-traveler, so I won't have to worry about that anymore.
One of my friends from high school came up to Incheon this weekend with his extremely pregnant wife. They spent the weekend with us, enjoying western food and the maternity shoot that David did with them. It was so refreshing for me to be around people from home. People who grew up in Charleston, who understand where I'm coming from and have the same homesickness as me. Although I'm super excited about our travels after we leave Incheon, I'm also very eager to be home. Today, when I was attending a family gathering via Skype, I had a hard time trying not to cry because I missed everyone so much.
That said, I'm also going to have a very hard time leaving my boys.
Such is life. Choices.

2 comments:

  1. so sorry you are dealing with this contrary boy! remember the time you made me cry? of course, I was very pregnant then, thus very sensitive :-). can't wait till mid november! i love you

    ReplyDelete